Saturday, March 29, 2014

Chicken and Artichokes

Right out front, I'll mention that not all of these recipes will be vegetables.This one, for example:

Braised Chicken Legs with Artichokes and Pearl Onions

We did not do this one straight from Trader Joes like the recipe describes; we had two whole artichokes, not frozen hearts, and regular yellow onions, not pearl onions. We used balsamic vinegar and coconut oil rather than Banyuls and avocado, respectively.

I steamed the artichokes, disassembled them, and chucked the hearts in the pan as the recipe describes. I sauteed the onions quite aggressively (raw onion disagrees with me) and otherwise followed the recipe. When I took it out, the vegetables were very nearly blackened, and my heart sank...

...until I tasted them. Because man oh man, was that dark, crusty garlic-onion-artichoke mess swimming in chicken fat *delicious.* We used it as a dip for the artichoke leaves and it was fantastic.

The chicken itself was unremarkable - on the bland side. I'd season it more heavily next time, but that's likely my fault in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment